We have put together a do’s and don’ts list of things that you need to keep in mind when using a trailer. A few things that you will be able to find is how to safely load a trailer, on road maintenance and long-haul journey tips.
Correct & Safe Loading of the Trailer.
- Ensure that the load inside the trailer is balanced properly. When having a load which is unbalanced it can cause problems like the trailer swaying on the road
- You have to ensure that the centre of gravity is towards the front of the trailer
- Make sure that at least 60% of the load is distributed over the front half of the trailer
- Ensure that the contents of your load are evenly distributed on both sides of the trailer
- Please ensure that all the cargo is secured to prevent the load from shifting
On-road monitoring and maintenance
When you start your journey towing the trailer it is important to focus on the management of the trailer.
Keep in mind the following:
- Check tyre pressure
- Ensure that you check all lights and reflectors
- Make sure that all lights are still working
- Check that the load is still secure and that it has not moved
- Ensure all tie-down points are tight
Preparing for a long-haul journey with the trailer
- Check that you haven’t overloaded
- Ensure that all necessary components are in place and in good working condition
- Keep in mind that overtaking is a big risk, especially when you have added weight and length
- When making a turn, keep in mind that you need to make a wider turn than normal
- Slow and steady is key to being safe
In need of more do’s and don’ts tips, send us a mail and we will be happy to assist.